Exposure Calculator

joseph.mcgee at sbcglobal.net joseph.mcgee at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 19 18:42:50 BST 2023

Thanks for the feedback Warren,

I'm a little unclear on your concern about the usefulness of the
calculator.  But a large part of Dr Glover's presentations seems to be
directed to getting astro-photographers to consider using shorter
sub-exposures and larger stacks.

If you believe this to be incorrect, or less than "optimal", maybe we
can work together to come up with an alternate user-selectable
calculation model that can be added to this tool. I would just need this
to be described in such a way that I can implement.

I'd also be curious to see if folks would run this calculator to compare
their experiences.

Here's a process that might be helpful to determine the value of the
calculator.

Pick one of your images, or just a channel used in an image that you
consider to be good quality.

Set up the calculator with equipment, the conditions and the gain
setting that you used for the imaging.

Try to adjust the noise increase % so that calculator exposure time is
close to the sub-exposure that you used for the image. (It might be
tough to get a perfect match, close is good enough).

How where did the noise increase % value end up?  Very far from the
default 5%?

Look at the stack grid to find the closest exposure count to what you
used in the stack.  What is the Ratio on that line?

---

So here's a long description and details from my learning experience a
few years ago that lead to my research into sub-exposure calculations.
(Keep in mind that I still consider myself to be very much a novice in
this hobby.)

As I was first learning in my backyard using a one shot color ASI-071MC,
with an f/5.5 refractor. (I typically set the camera gain at 50). I
tried imaging at the 3 to 4 minute exposure times that I saw recommended
on forums.  The results were awful, and very noisy.  I then purchased
both a multi-band filter (Optolong l-Enhance for nebulae) and a light
pollution filter (Optolong l-Pro for galaxies). But even after weeks of
trial and error, I found that using the l-Pro filter for example, I
still had to reduce my exposure times to about 60 seconds with no moon,
and about 30 seconds with a 1/2 moon.  In these conditions, to get an
image that I considered acceptable required about 6 hours for the stack.

There's a darker site in the mountains about 90 minutes drive from my
home. I only make that trip around a new moon.  My trial and error
process there included exposures up to 10 minutes, but even at 5 to 6
minute subs there was excess noise.  I settled on exposures that were 3
to 4 minutes;  and I could get a result that was good enough to show to
my friends and family, on a stack with just 2 to 3 hours of imaging.

This experience triggered the research which lead me to Dr Glover's
presentations. I used Dr Glover's equations initially on spreadsheet and
later in a Java app. The sub-exposure time from those computations
matched my experience fairly closely.

I've since measured the SQM in my backyard on a new moon night as 19.3,
and about 18.5 with a half moon.  So lets look at what the calculation
says for these conditions using the l-Pro filter (I estimate that the
l-Pro is passing about 165nm), and I'm leaving the noise increase % at
the default 5% recommended by Dr Glover:

In my backyard with a new moon, the calculated exposure is 69 seconds;
just slightly higher than the 60 seconds I found with trial and error in
these conditions.

Back then I was still employed with limited available time, so I had
been limiting my stacks to what I could get in a single night.  With 6
hours of imaging the calculator shows a ratio (quality) of about 80.
That a ratio of 80 was good enough for me to share with my friends and
family.  But in looking at the stacking data I see that the quality is
still climbing well; going to a 7th hour would improve the quality by
8%, that might have have been worth doing.

But at some point we have to weigh the cost in time vs benefits of
longer stacks.  The quality improvement at 20 to 21 hours is not so
great; the gain in quality would only be 2.4% for that added hour, and
it would be a stack of nearly 1100 images.

Then with a half-moon in my backyard: the calculated exposure matches
the 30 seconds that I found I needed with trial and error. But to be
honest I was never able to get a very good galaxy image around a
half-moon from my backyard.  But now it's clear from the calculator that
I would need about 14 hours in these conditions to reach a ratio of just
80.

Now at the darker site near my home, (I've not yet measured the SQM at
this site, but a light pollution map says it is 20.5):

The calculation shows a sub-exposure of 221 seconds, that is right in
the middle of the 3 to 4 minute range I found with trial and error.  And
with just 3 hours stacking the ratio (quality) shows 101.   I was really
happy with images from that site with just 3 hours of stacking.

So let's run one more calculation for a very dark sky, SQM 21.96 right
on the margin of Bortle 1 & 2.

I have not yet experienced such a site, so I cannot make any comments
about the calculator's result. But it is showing an optimal sub-exposure
of about 14 minutes. It also shows that a stack of just 1 hour, (5
exposures), would easily exceed the quality that I find acceptable to
share with my friends and family.

I also think it's very interesting to see that quality improvement of
adding just a second hour in these conditions; a 34% improvement in
quality to go from 1 to 2 hours of imaging in these conditions!  But the
diminishing improvements of larger stack are still evident; at the 20 to
21 hour time-frame the quality improvement is only 2.2%, (but that is at
a ratio of over 500, so it mat not be possible to recognize any noise in
this image).