re "Only Start if Guide Deviation <" feature

amiga2000c at gmx.de amiga2000c at gmx.de
Wed Aug 17 15:33:44 BST 2022

Hi,

during recent imaging sessions with KStars/Ekos (running latest
Indi/KStars from git) I got the feeling that the time span between
exposures was shorter than it should be. I kept a close eye on what's
going on particularly between exposures and came away with the
impression that the "Only Start if Guide Deviation <" check is performed
before the first image in the queue (and the first image after the
re-start of an interrupted queue) but ignored for all subsequent images.

I spent some time on browsing through one of my logs for evidence. I
think it underpins my belief...

I've linked the log file that I am referring to here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/qyuwsr
<https://www.sendspace.com/file/qyuwsr>

I had interrupted a queue for a re-focus because HFR was deteriorating.
I finished focusing at 23:42:25 and the _first capture_ in the queue
(after re-start) was about to be taken but the guiding deviation check
was performed and found 1.865" exceeding the 0.5" limit thus suspending
capture until 23:42:32 when guiding deviation of 0.46" was lower than
the limit. At 23:42:34 the 120s exposure was started. It  finished at
23:44:34, saved a second later. Then there is a 24s pause in the log
file. I suppose during this time FitsViewer displayed the image and
calculated HFR.

Dithering started at 23:44:59 and was completed 10s later at 23:45:09.
This time (_second capture_ in the queue after re-start) no "Only Start
if Guide Deviation <" check is mentioned. Instead, "resuming in 8s" (as
set up in "Ekos -> Capture -> Guiding settle"). After these 8s, at
23:45:17, a focus check is performed. It finishes at 23:45:22 and the
next exposure is started right away, at 23:45:22. Still no guide
deviation check mentioned.

I believe (but cannot prove it) that I witnessed several instances
during the night where after dithering had succeeded, the next exposure
was started although guiding deviation was around 2", way above the limit.

--

Today I did a Simulators session and found the result is the same. The
"Only start if..." check is performed on the first frame but for all

Logfile: https://www.sendspace.com/file/n90rb1
<https://www.sendspace.com/file/n90rb1>

Maybe someone can have a look into this. Thanks a lot!

Regards
Alfred