Issues regarding building kstars on Debian 11 (bullseye) and getting Data catalogs

Rani Ahmed ranixlb at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 08:32:38 BST 2022

Hello. I just don't understand why kstars does not get directly updated on
Debian stable with the latest version.. This app has no security impacts
and it does not hurt the computer data. The current kstars version on
Debian stable is 3.4.3 and the current stable Debian distribution is Debian
11 bullseye. The latest kstars version is 3.5.9 beta. I always have to
build from source in order to get the latest kstars.

Also, in the following page for Debian 11 stable

https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Edu/KStars/Building_KStars_KF5#Debian_.2F_Kubuntu

please change the line :

sudo apt-get -y install build-essential cmake git libeigen3-dev
libcfitsio-dev zlib1g-dev libindi-dev extra-cmake-modules
libkf5plotting-dev libqt5svg5-dev libkf5xmlgui-dev kio-dev kinit-dev
libkf5newstuff-dev kdoctools-dev libkf5notifications-dev
qtdeclarative5-dev libkf5crash-dev gettext libnova-dev libgsl-dev
libraw-dev libkf5notifyconfig-dev wcslib-dev libqt5websockets5-dev
xplanet xplanet-images qt5keychain-dev libsecret-1-dev
breeze-icon-theme

apt-fast -y install build-essential cmake git libeigen3-dev
libcfitsio-dev zlib1g-dev libindi-dev extra-cmake-modules
libkf5plotting-dev libqt5svg5-dev libkf5xmlgui-dev kio kinit-dev
libkf5newstuff-dev kdoctools5 libkf5notifications-dev
qtdeclarative5-dev libkf5crash-dev gettext libnova-dev libgsl-dev
libraw-dev libkf5notifyconfig-dev wcslib-dev libqt5websockets5-dev
xplanet xplanet-images qt5keychain-dev libsecret-1-dev
breeze-icon-theme

Also in the kstars add-ons installer, I downloaded the huge USNO NOMAD
catalog and put it in ~/.local/share/kstars and it still shows that
it's not installed.

Also the page : https://edu.kde.org/kstars/install.php has a simple
typo to point at
https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Edu/KStars/Building_KStars_KF5#Debian_.2F_Kubuntu
. The link is written with double s in *httpss* instead of

*https. it must be with a single s.*

*Thanks.*