Artificial Horizon

Hy Murveit murveit at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 21:15:10 GMT 2021

Jasem (et al)

Several questions about the Artificial Horizon (AH) feature. I'd like to do
what I can (submit some MR) to improve this feature, help integrate it with
Terrain backgrounds, etc. However I've never used it before, so I may be
missing some obvious things.

The new Terrain feature seems like a natural way to help enter the AH. I
used the 'select points from skymap' feature to define an artificial
horizon (360 degrees around) aided by a pretty accurate terrain background.
In general the UI worked, and I got this:

[image: ah1.jpg]

1- Since the sky is red, I'm assuming that it somehow "inverted" my
selection. I did try to start and end with the horizon. Am I missing
something? I would have guessed that the red would be covering the "below
horizon" and the not-red would be the sky. Am I misinterpreting this?

2- If I want to fine-tune points, I'd like to be able to see where a point
is. I see that I can double click on a point and know which point it is
(e.g. with a white dot on the skymap), and then see the white outline move
as I edit it. I assume this is not implemented. Is that correct?

2b- I'd like to edit by clicking on the star map, not just by typing an
alt/az value. That doesn't seem implemented. Am I right about that?

3- I tried to make another region--this one also a full 360--and this time
the system was not happy with my polygon, and I could never figure out why.
Not sure why but it told me it was invalid.

[image: ah2.jpg]
It would be good to be able to help the user understand which points to
correct, and why. In general, what does an invalid polgon mean?

The doc says "Polygons must be closed to be considered valid". What does
closed mean? Does it mean the first and last points must be at the same
place? I can see now that the Terrain should be rendered BELOW the white
artificial horizon lines, otherwise the first point isn't visible and is
"hard to match".

4- Is there some reason that making only one 360-degree polygon is a bad
idea? E.g. as opposed to making one for each obstruction?

5- Once I've completed my artificial horizon, and am happy with it's
geometric definition, how can it be used by Kstars/Ekos?  E.g. is it
currently used by the scheduler? By the mount module? ... How?

Thanks,
Hy