Bad Pixel Map?

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Sat Mar 13 20:36:11 GMT 2021

Hello all,

We have "dark" subtraction available in KStars for the align/focus/guide
modules. I was about to begin implementing a new way to build a dark
library for images. However, Han pointed out that using bad pixels maps
actually may yield better results, and it's a lot simpler than taking all
the darks and stacking them using different combinations of
binning/exposures/...etc. Therefore, I put the dark library revamp on hold
as I investigate this venue.

PHD2 uses both methods to remove noise from images. I believe it would
substantially improve focus/guide/align modules if we can introduce a
SIMPLE method to remove MOST of the noise. Remember this is used to help
these modules operate correctly, it's not used for post-processing images.

What do you think? Shall we adopt bad pixel maps to remove hot/cold pixels?
Do we need to do this like darks for multiple exposures/temperature/...etc
and save the results somewhere? or a "master" map would be sufficient to
get the job done?

Hy previously introduced "Show Clipping" to highlight saturated pixels in
the image, could this be used as a startup point? I presume something akin
to PHD2 Bad Pixel Map (BPM) wizard?

--
Best Regards,
Jasem Mutlaq