KStars v3.5.0 Release Date?

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Tue Nov 10 10:16:35 GMT 2020

Alright, let's look at this:

1. Parallel algorithm: This is related to SOLVER, not image partitioning.
It should work fine on Rpi4 and the checks are more reliable now as Robert
worked on that.
2. WCS Polar Align: Can this be reproduced with simulators?

--
Best Regards,
Jasem Mutlaq

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 10:48 AM Wolfgang Reissenberger <
sterne-jaeger at openfuture.de> wrote:

> It wasn’t that bad. The problem was that KStars went to 100% CPU usage and
> died (or I killed it, do not exactly remember). I’ll try to reproduce it...
>
> Am 10.11.2020 um 08:45 schrieb Hy Murveit <murveit at gmail.com>:
>
> OK, well I believe it was fixed a week ago, so if you can still recreate
> it, you should report it.
> It should be fixed before release if it is still freezing the Pi.
>
> Hy
>
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 11:42 PM Wolfgang Reissenberger <
> sterne-jaeger at openfuture.de> wrote:
>
>> OK, I have to check it. The problem occurred only a few days ago and I
>> think I’m always on bleeding edge...
>>
>> Am 10.11.2020 um 08:38 schrieb Hy Murveit <murveit at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Wolfgang: I believe Rob and/or Jasem fixed the issue with parallel
>> algorithm bringing down the RPi4 a while back.
>> I have the solver on auto parallelism and load all indexes in memory, and
>> it seems to work fine (and in parallel).
>> Similarly, for star extraction, Jasem implemented a threaded extraction
>> that also automatically determines how many threads to use and seems fine
>> on the RPi4.
>>
>> Eric: I believe these parallel options are the defaults. Hopefully users
>> won't need to configure things like this.
>> For star detection, I don't believe you can turn it off.
>> For star detection Jasem split the frame before detection (into at most
>> num-threads parts--4 for the RPi4).
>> For align, I'm not sure how Rob divided things.
>>
>> Hy
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 11:07 PM Wolfgang Reissenberger <
>> sterne-jaeger at openfuture.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I think we are close to finishing the release. I personally would opt to
>>> wait for another week and keep an eye stability.
>>>
>>> Maybe we should take another look if the default settings in the
>>> StellarSolver profiles work a) for typical camera/scope combinations and b)
>>> for all platforms.
>>>
>>> For example with my RPi, I needed to change the Parallel Algorithm to
>>> „None“ because parallelity brought KStars down. Is the default setting
>>> „None“ and I changed it somewhen? With all the new parameters I would
>>> prefer having a robust setup and leave it to the user to optimize speed.
>>>
>>> @Jasem: please take a closer look to MR!122, since it fixed 4(!)
>>> regressions I introduced with my capture counting fix MR!114. Hopefully now
>>> we have at least a proper coverage with automated tests...
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>>
>>> Am 09.11.2020 um 22:04 schrieb Jasem Mutlaq <mutlaqja at ikarustech.com>:
>>>
>>> Hello Folks,
>>>
>>> So back to this topic, any major blockers to the KStars 3.5.0 release
>>> now?
>>>
>>> 1. Remote Solver should be fixed now.
>>> 2. StellarSolver Profiles are more optimized now.
>>> 3. Handbook not updated yet, but we can probably work on this shortly.