Questions about the git repo

Thomas Nemer thomas.nemer at fortytwo.fr
Sun Jan 12 09:28:23 GMT 2020

Hello Kstars team!

I'm actually getting my hands on the code base, and as an exercise I'm
trying to build the same version as the one from arch linux repo. This
way I'll be able to compare the repo's version to my own build, be sure
my IDE is properly configured and that I understood how to build Kstars
properly. I have a few questions about your git workflow :

  * I've installed Kstars from arch linux repo, and when I look at the
    about tab, I can read "v3.3.9 Build: 2020-01-01T21:08:10Z". But when
    I look to the repo's tag list, I find only old tags, multiple
    versioning conventions, and no 3.3.9 tag. How do you know which
    commit was used to build v3.3.9?
  * I've clone the repo, and I only see the master branch, but on
    https://cgit.kde.org/kstars.git/refs/heads I can see lots of
    branches, how comes I can't fetch those?
  * I would've expected the master branch to only contain tagged
    commits, some dev or develop branch to contain non-tagged commits,
    and feature branches to contain ongoing work. But it seems the
    master branch is the only one active, do you work directly on the
    master or is there some mirror repo I don't see on which there's
    some CI before commits get integrated into the master branch?

Thanks for your time and work, Have a nice day, Thomas Nemer.