[kplato] Some missing features/comments from another project app

Jim Sabatke kplato@kde.org
Sat, 04 Aug 2001 19:45:45 -0500

Richard Bos wrote:

>Perhaps that the underneath mentioned comments can be put into the
>design document of kplato.  So kplato does not have these "errors" when that
>particular code/functionality will be released.
>
>(http://lists.codefactory.se/pipermail/mrproject/2001-July/000248.html)
>* Have task duration be measured in hours, not days.

To be really useful, task durations and effort should be displayable and
enterable in minutes, hours, days and weeks.  That is basic
functionality to any PM tool I've ever used.

>* Dependencies... The "link" button isn't very user
>friendly. As I'm building a project, the tasks aren't
>necessarily listed in any meaningful order. Setting
>dependencies helps me determine what order they should
>be in. When I set dependencies through the interface,
>the direction of the dependence is determined by the
>order on the task list. I'd prefer to to have another
>tab on the "Task Properties" dialog call
>"dependencies" where I could manually enter the ids of
>other dependent task" (This links would have to be
>preserved when I reorder also).

Very good idea!

>* Get that % complete feature working!
>
>* Identify resource conflicts. Let me know if I've
>assigned "Bob" to two tasks at the same time.

That would only be a conflict if there isn't enough time available for
"Bob" to complete all tasks he is concurrently assigned to.

>* Let us be able to manually enter the duration right
>on the gantt chart screen. We can grab the bar in the
>can drag it, but we can't type in "20 hrs".

I've personally never found dragging GANT bars to be useful, but most
packages do have this functionality.

>(http://lists.codefactory.se/pipermail/mrproject/2001-July/000249.html)
>
>>Make that selectable granularity then.  We prefer days.  So 24hrs == 3 days
>>assuming an 8hr working day, a 4 hr task is 0.5 days etc.
>>

>>IMHO an hour granularity is overkill, especially on large projects of long
>>duration.

Some projects have a lot of little tasks.  I've had projects where there
might be a couple hundred 4 hour tasks.  Also, the workday hours should
come from the resource's calendar.

>* Let us drag-n-drop to reorder items in the task list.

That would also be very useful.

--
Jim Sabatke
SuSE 7.1 Linux

"First God made the idiot; that was for practice. Then he made school boards." Mark Twain