Plans for Qt 6

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Fri Jan 20 13:46:40 GMT 2023

Hi Tobias,

Am 20. Januar 2023 00:34:31 MEZ schrieb Tobias Leupold <tl at stonemx.de>:
>Hi all,
>
>as of yesterday, the KDE frameworks depend on Qt 6, cf.
>https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-devel/2023-January/001586.html
>
>I suppose we do want to port KPA to Qt 6. But, speaking of Gentoo (where I'm
>still hanging around, even after all these years of compiling pain ;-), this
>seems to be a bit hard at the moment. Qt 6 itself is still hard-masked, and
>there are no Qt 6 KF packages to install, at least without manual changes,
>overlays, handwork and whatnot.
>
>So, at the moment, it would be still a bit hard to mess with Qt 6 KDE
>Frameworks on Gentoo.

I'm on Debian unstable, which is certainly not any more current than Gentoo, so my situation is similar.

>So, just asking ... what's our Qt 6 plan? :-)

I'm inclined to take the same stance as with the Qt5 transition: start as soon as it's reasonably easy to do. If possible, keep a Qt5 branch for back ports of important bugfixes around for a limited time.

Cheers,
  Johannes