The viewer's "x years ago" info sucks ;-)

Andreas Schleth schleth_es at web.de
Sat Apr 15 17:23:58 BST 2023

Hi,

nice to see that this question sparks a bit of life in the mailing list :-)

But I think the discussion has veered off the original problem.

I see it more as a rounding vs. cutoff problem: 3.98 years should be "4
years ago" and not "3 years ago" if you limit it to that precision.

A proper library to calculate time differences would solve one thing,
the other is, how to choose when to be "fuzzy" (better: deal with
rounded numbers) and when to be more exact and how much so. I am no
C++/Qt/KDE expert, but I guess, there might be something out there that
does the time difference thing. The rounding problem is another matter
(I have not researched it - yet).

One part of the problem is, that time is commonly measured in higher
precision than most other things (Ever been 1/2 minute late for an
important meeting or 1 day early for a birthday?).

So we sometime expect very exact time differences and sometime less.
Therefore, it would be nice to set an exactness level on some kind of
scale (no need to use exact percentages) in the config and then do
proper rounding.

A time difference of 10 years, 4 months, 23 days, 22 hours, 35 minutes,
21 seconds might then be:

"10 years ago"

"10 years, 5 months ago" - doing this exactly will be tricky around the
15th of the month ... or you could accept a bit of imprecision here :-)

"10 years, 4 months, 24 days ago"

My guess is, that in most situations, you would be content with just one
or at most 2 date items on this line.

And about including a "ca." into the text: No! except if the image
itself has a fuzzy date.

Cheers, Andreas