Fwd: Video backend selection

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Wed Jan 5 15:59:24 GMT 2022

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Video backend selection
Date: 	Wed, 5 Jan 2022 16:56:46 +0100
From: 	Jesper K. Pedersen <jesper.pedersen at kdab.com>
To: 	Tobias Leupold <tl at l3u.de>, kphotoalbum at kde.org

I kind of answered this already, but just for completeness

On 1/5/22 10:26, Tobias Leupold wrote:
> PS:
>
> Dolphin uses Phonon:
>
> https://invent.kde.org/system/dolphin/-/blob/master/src/panels/information/
> phononwidget.cpp
>
> Why not let the KDE guys care about backend selection? Quite some time
> since I
> took a look at this.
unfortunately it is mostly unmaintained I believe. And the whole things
started as I simply couldn't get it to work well when I returned back to
linux a year ago.

I tried installing and uninstalling lots of different packages, but it
was never working very well. So I looked at what digikam was doing and
they had moved to QtAV, so the copycat I am, I did so too for KPA, just
to learn it had problems with delays, then I tried VLC, but that didn't
work with wayland only X11, and then I decided to leave it to the user
to take the one matching him.

> Back then (TM) this was shown in the systemsettings, but
> it seems to be removed. Still accessible through phononsettings
> though. But it
> seems like I can select VLC or GStreamer as my Phonon backend.
>
> Isn't Phonon the abstraction layer that was intended to make it easier for
> people like us, so that we don't have to rack our brains about backend
> stuff?
It was, and that worked for a decade but since then it seems to have
been abandoned.

> Please be gentle, I never followed discussion about video stuff until now;
> mostly caused by the fact that I hardly use videos in my database ;-)
No worried, thanks for your feedback.

Jesper K. Pedersen |jesper.pedersen at kdab.com
HR Director / COO
Tel. Direct: +45 2726 8078, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts