Fwd: Video backend selection

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Wed Jan 5 15:59:05 GMT 2022

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Video backend selection
Date: 	Wed, 5 Jan 2022 16:51:37 +0100
From: 	Jesper K. Pedersen <jesper.pedersen at kdab.com>
To: 	Tobias Leupold <tl at l3u.de>, kphotoalbum at kde.org

On 1/5/22 10:15, Tobias Leupold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> so here are my two cents ;-)
>
> I'm far from being a video power user. In my whole collection, I have
> like 10
> videos or so. So I wasn't really interested much in this feature, also
> because
> my database is no good foundation for testing.
>
> I think we _should_ have some material builtin video player. But I
> would keep
> it as simple as possible. One of my use-cases for KPA is doing some slide-
> projector show with the family on my TV screen. And there, it's nice to be
> able to watch a short video clip without having to start an external
> program.
> But after all, and here's where I agree a bit with Andreas, we call it
> KPhotoAlbum and not KVideoAlbum. It's about photos.
Well, I'm sure you are the odd one out anyone with a camera also takes
lots of videos these days.  Personally I have 27.000 images and 1500 videos.

> Implementing a fully-blown video player seems to be a PITA, and others
> have
> failed to do so, where the only purpose was to create a video player.
> We have
> quite limited manpower (and in my case also quite limited knowledge
> ;-) -- so
> again: I would keep it simple.
That I agree to.

> Dolphin has a video preview feature. Why not simply use what KDE uses?
> If it
> works in Dolphin, in works in KPA. If it doesn't, one may want to fix
> this,
> because the whole KDE thingy is somehow broken then.

Without looking, I would assume it uses phonon or Qt's own system. Both
are unfortunately broken. As said in my answer to Andreas, if I watch 20
random videos from my collection recorded with at least that many
different cameras, one if not more will crash phonon.

I for one, do not have neither the knowledge nor the time to fix phonon
upstream, and I believe that it is also largely unmaintained these days.

> Maintaining different video backends, testing them and fixing all kinds of
> stuff concerning video playback seems to me to be too much off-topic
> for KPA.

Well, I would love one, but there isn't one that just works.

Besides the integration is rather thing - one virtual class with a few
methods to implement.

> I personally would be totally fine with what Dolphin does, maybe with the
> arrow and pgup/down keys to navigate a bit through the video, and the
> spacebar
> to pause it. No volume adjustment, speed, whatever. And no backend
> selection.
> After all, if it doesn't work inside KPA, I can still open it in
> mplayer ...
>
> Cheers, Tobias

Thanks for your feedback too.

Jesper K. Pedersen |jesper.pedersen at kdab.com
HR Director / COO
Tel. Direct: +45 2726 8078, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts