Video backend selection

Tobias Leupold tl at l3u.de
Wed Jan 5 09:26:25 GMT 2022

PS:

Dolphin uses Phonon:

https://invent.kde.org/system/dolphin/-/blob/master/src/panels/information/
phononwidget.cpp

Why not let the KDE guys care about backend selection? Quite some time since I
took a look at this. Back then (TM) this was shown in the systemsettings, but
it seems to be removed. Still accessible through phononsettings though. But it
seems like I can select VLC or GStreamer as my Phonon backend.

Isn't Phonon the abstraction layer that was intended to make it easier for
people like us, so that we don't have to rack our brains about backend stuff?

Please be gentle, I never followed discussion about video stuff until now;
mostly caused by the fact that I hardly use videos in my database ;-)