Video backend selection

Tobias Leupold tl at l3u.de
Wed Jan 5 09:15:09 GMT 2022

Hi all,

so here are my two cents ;-)

I'm far from being a video power user. In my whole collection, I have like 10
videos or so. So I wasn't really interested much in this feature, also because
my database is no good foundation for testing.

I think we _should_ have some material builtin video player. But I would keep
it as simple as possible. One of my use-cases for KPA is doing some slide-
projector show with the family on my TV screen. And there, it's nice to be
able to watch a short video clip without having to start an external program.
But after all, and here's where I agree a bit with Andreas, we call it
KPhotoAlbum and not KVideoAlbum. It's about photos.

Implementing a fully-blown video player seems to be a PITA, and others have
failed to do so, where the only purpose was to create a video player. We have
quite limited manpower (and in my case also quite limited knowledge ;-) -- so
again: I would keep it simple.

Dolphin has a video preview feature. Why not simply use what KDE uses? If it
works in Dolphin, in works in KPA. If it doesn't, one may want to fix this,
because the whole KDE thingy is somehow broken then.

Maintaining different video backends, testing them and fixing all kinds of
stuff concerning video playback seems to me to be too much off-topic for KPA.
I personally would be totally fine with what Dolphin does, maybe with the
arrow and pgup/down keys to navigate a bit through the video, and the spacebar
to pause it. No volume adjustment, speed, whatever. And no backend selection.
After all, if it doesn't work inside KPA, I can still open it in mplayer ...

Cheers, Tobias