[KPhotoAlbum] A few stacking issues

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 05:27:37 GMT 2013

Howdy,

a quick follow up on the things mentioned on this thread (to whatever
questions I happen to remember and have something to comment about).

The order whether raw or jpg is on top of the stack can be affected by
the detection regular expressions. However, I am not sure whether this
works if you import both jpg and raw of the same image simultaneously
(I have never shot raw+jpg as all my cameras include full size or big
enough thumbnail in the raw).

What I have currently is File version regex:
(_(v){0,1}([0-9]){1,2}){0,1}(_[0-9]{1,2}){0,1}\.(jpg|JPG|tif|TIF|png|PNG)

original replacement:
.NEF;.CR2;.ORF;.JPG;.jpg

These are used if you have the automatic detection of new version on.
And you can also trigger it manually Stack images based on file
version detection.

The default selection for this "manual autostacking" probably not
optimal anymore now that the option to do it based on file version
detection is implemented.

To support raw workflow I wrote the "Open in RAW editor" script that
tries to find the original raw file and opens that in some raw editor
or the jpg if no raw exists. Similar script could be written to select
only the jpg and copy it somewhere. Also the open with custom command
might help in short term solution.

The current behavior that all shown images are selected is what I need
and use a lot. If I need all the versions then the expand all stacks
does the trick well enough for me.

IIRC there is one option in the exports that includes file
hierarchies. Most likely the include images in .kim file. However, I
personally copy my images to my server manually and merge the
databases with an external script. Not that fluid but has worked well
enough for me. (I don't remember who wrote the script, but can try to
dig it up once I get back home with good network connectivity...)

Anyway, I am not sure if anyone really uses the current flat export
design, as it clearly has its limitations. So the import/export would
need some loving, or external script approach should be clearly
documented and such script included in the KPA script directory.

Channging the defaults on the mentioned features should be easy enough
to do. I might give it a go with whatever I feel comfortable with.

Some other settings would probably be better to be kept the same
between uses, but that takes a bit more effort to implement. Should be
rather easy to do and there are plenty of samples how to do it. So any
inexperinced KPA wannabe hacker could probably take this task.

Time to get ready for a 23 hour travel back home...

miika