[KPhotoAlbum] kphotoalbum method of storing Tags, description

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Wed Jan 25 23:29:13 GMT 2012

On 01/25/2012 12:13 AM, Miika Turkia wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Karl Schmidt<karl at xtronics.com>  wrote:
>> Dug around the web pages - I'm not finding the method kphotoalbum uses to
>> store annotations, tags etc.  IMO the best place to store this information
>> is in the file itself.
>>
>> I'm looking for a system that stores them in the picture file as EXIF or
>> better XMP - is this what kphotoalbum does?
>
> We use our own XML file to store all the information. All tagging is
> in this single XML file.

sigh..
This would be a key detail to add to your documentation..

> The trouble of writing annotations to EXIF is that the image is
> altered with each write. Any error in writing the exif might spoil the
> image, e.g. even truncate it to size 0. So we like to keep the
> original images intact. (We actually detect moved images based on a
> hash of the image so changes in exif data will fool KPhotoAlbum not to
> recognize moved image as the same and losing the annotations of that
> images.) Same goes with XMP and IPTC if the data is embedded into the
> image.

The usual way to be sure that no data is lost is to have the option to keep the original and make a
new file with the tags.. I was really hoping I could find a tool to run on my Debian box.  I'm not
sure what digikam is doing - too complex for my needs - looks like there might be a way to do it.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing for money.