kmymoney-5.1-479 appimage and later hang at tips window.

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 15 04:26:29 BST 2023

On 5/14/23 23:17, Harry G McGavran Jr via KMyMoney wrote:
>> I was going to say try "bt" instead of "where" but I see they are
>> synonyms.  See if you can install/enable debuginfod.  Once that is
>> installed, try gdb again, but use "run -n" to get it to not load your
>> data.  It should ask if you want to use infod, say yes.  That should
>> give a better backtrace.
>
> I tried this -- according to the debuginfod web page setting
>
> export DEBUGINFOD_URLS="https://debuginfod.ubuntu.com"
>
> should have been enough for ubuntu prior to 22.04...
>
> I'm running 20.04...
>
> Nonetheless, I tried it anyway.  I could post the output,
> but it was the same -- I can't tell that debuginfod
> really does work in 20.04 ...
>
> I did grab the strace log:
>
> wc strace.log
>    163922  1053781 12934311 strace.log
>
> If there is some way I can get it to you, please let me know.
> I spend a fair amount of time looking it over and the only hint
> I see so far is that where it opens my database and starts reading
> it, it starts doing "access /etc/localtime" continuously for
> many hundreds of lines. When that finally stops it wasn't clear
> what that meant...

Hang on to that log for now.  If it comes to it, I'll provide a way for
you to send it directly to me.  How small does it get if you gzip it?

My thought on debuginfod is that when I just ran "gdb
kmymoney.....appimage" gdb asked if I wanted to enable debuginfod.
Saying yes had no effect on my Artix Linux system until I actually
installed the debuginfod package.  I don't have an Ubuntu installation
handy to check if there is any debuginfod package to install, or if
setting that environment variable should be sufficient.  If debuginfod
is actually working, you will know it, from the multiple console output
lines about downloading symbols for various .so files.

For now, please respond to my other message - exactly what window(s) do
you see, and when KMM "hangs" is any KMM window visible?  Do you
actually see the tips (tip of the day?) window? That was removed some
time ago (I'll have to check the git log for exactly when) so something
funny is going on if you are actually seeing it.