Menu selection terminology: was Bank of Scotland and Wise

Thomas Baumgart tbaumgart at kde.org
Tue Feb 14 12:24:10 GMT 2023

On Montag, 13. Februar 2023 16:07:13 CET mh--- via KMyMoney wrote:

> On Sonntag, 12. Februar 2023 21:27:18 CET Jack via KMyMoney wrote:
>
> > New question:  what kind of account are you trying to map, and what
> > View are you on when you try to map the account?  In order to map an
> > account, KMyMoney needs to know which account you want to map.  For the
> > main Account menu, I just realized that it will be all disabled (you
> > can see the items, but all will be gray and not clickable) because no
> > account has been selected.  If you display the ledger for an account,
> > the all the actions on the "Accounts" menu will refer to that account.
> > Another way would be to display the Accounts view, and Right Click an
> > account to get a pop up context menu with all the relevant choices.
>
> I tried to map my account (Konto) at the Bank of Scotland.
> Now that the menu items exist, they also are available and I was able to map
> the account to the bank named Bank of Scotland.
> I also created a user with Offline-Backend and an account in aqbanking.
> Was that correct?

Usually, it makes sense to use the account mapping for direct online access.
In Germany the HBCI/FinTS method is used and other countries have OFX. Both
allow direct connect where KMyMoney directly talks to the bank's server and
interacts via a defined protocol. This method is also sometimes referred to
as 'online'. Please be aware that the general public also speaks of 'online
banking' when they actually mean 'web based banking'.

I was not aware of the offline backend in AqBanking but think it is simply
used for file imports. For your use case (Bank of Scotland providing OFX
downloadable files) that may work, but using KMyMoney's web-connect feature
is much more elegant because you

a) access your bank account through a browser,
b) select the OFX downloadable file,
c) select KMyMoney as the application to open the downloadable OFX file
   directly in your browser,
d) import the data into KMyMoney w/o the detour of a file and
e) don't need to setup/use AqBanking for it.

For this method, an online mapping of the account is not needed at all.

Hope that helps. If anything is still unclear, please let us know.

There is no way to happiness.
Happiness is the way ;) -- Thich Nhat Hanh