Menu selection terminology: was Bank of Scotland and Wise

mh at mike.franken.de mh at mike.franken.de
Mon Feb 13 15:07:13 GMT 2023

On Sonntag, 12. Februar 2023 21:27:18 CET Jack via KMyMoney wrote:
> [snip ....]
>
> >> I wonder if there is just a language problem.  When you say "the
> >> menu topics are not available" I understand that those selections
> >> are not present in the menu at all.  Is that what you mean, or just
> >> that they
> >
> > That is exactly the point - they are not existing.  Whats the
> > difference between "not available" and "not existing"?
>
> If you click the menu "Accounts" and "Map account" is not on the list,
> then it is missing or it does not exist.  If "Map account" IS on the
> list, but you cannot select it and it shows up in light color when the
> other items are black, then it does exist, but has been disabled, and
> is called "not available."  If it is present and available, but when
> you click on it, it either does nothing or does something you do not
> expect (or does not do what you expect) then something is not right,
> and we need to figure out why.
>
> If a menu item is missing (it does not appear on the menu at all,)
> then  most likely there was a problem configuring or  compiling the
> package.  If it appears, but is not enabled (you can't click on it, or
> clicking on it does not do anything) that is more likely because the
> program has explicitly done so because of something in the current
> status or data.  For example, if an account has not been mapped to an
> online source, then
> Account/Update account will be disabled, since you can only update an
> online account if it has already been mapped.  If an account has been
> mapped, then "Map account" will chang to "Unmap account", but you could
> also say that "Map account" is not present.  Yes - the terminology can
> be confusing.  It is also possible for a program to add or remove menu
> items during use, but this is considered more confusing for  users, so
> it is much more common for the menu item to just be disabled, so the
> user can see it is present, but just has to figure out why the program
> thinks it should not be available at that time.

Ok, got it.
And I followed your advice to reinstall the program.
Now the menu items "Konto zuordnen" (Map account) and "Kontenzuordnung
löschen" (Unmap account) are existing.

> Can you attach a screenshot of the "Accounts" menu list?  That might
> help figure out what is going on.

See above.

> New question:  what kind of account are you trying to map, and what
> View are you on when you try to map the account?  In order to map an
> account, KMyMoney needs to know which account you want to map.  For the
> main Account menu, I just realized that it will be all disabled (you
> can see the items, but all will be gray and not clickable) because no
> account has been selected.  If you display the ledger for an account,
> the all the actions on the "Accounts" menu will refer to that account.
> Another way would be to display the Accounts view, and Right Click an
> account to get a pop up context menu with all the relevant choices.

I tried to map my account (Konto) at the Bank of Scotland.
Now that the menu items exist, they also are available and I was able to map
the account to the bank named Bank of Scotland.
I also created a user with Offline-Backend and an account in aqbanking.
Was that correct?