Duplicate ledger entries

MV mwizard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 16:06:08 BST 2023

On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 5:29 AM Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On Dienstag, 8. August 2023 15:05:46 CEST MV via KMyMoney wrote:
>
> > Like a lot of people, I have multiple accounts setup in KMyMoney.   And
> > like a lot of folks, I transfer money from one account to another.   It
> > turns out that the system can't figure out that when I import the
> > transactions from each account, the transfer is recorded in both account
> > transaction lists.  And the system basically records the transfer twice.
> > For now, I manually edit the transactions to remove the double posting.
> >
> > If there is a setting I missed that would solve this for me, I'd welcome
> > the heads up.   If not, then I'd welcome an enhancement that would flag
> > these or automatically remove these when found during the import phase.
>
> You may try to merge the two transactions into a single one. This is a two
> step process: first select and merge, then accept the merge. The former
> will make one transaction out of the two but allows to unmerge. The latter
> will complete the process and remove the one that was merged into the
> other.
>
> If that does not work for you, please get back to us and describe what is
> not working.
>
> > I do have a couple of accounts that I have to use CSV file formats for
> > import.  They do not provide the OFX format as much as I'd like them
> to.  I
> > would imagine that CSV formats might make it more difficult to identify
> > duplicates like I describe.
>
> That could be. It depends on which data is provided in CSV. If those
> transactions are recurring, KMyMoney tries to identify them nevertheless.
> Again, the result depends on the data available.
>
> > I might also note that if I import subsequent files to my accounts, they
> > have been able to identify duplicate transactions, or in other words,
> > transactions that were imported using a prior file.  But these duplicates
> > are only found when one month's transactions overlap the next month's
> > transactions.
>
> That sounds a bit strange. KMyMoney assigns each transaction a unique ID
> based on the data of the transaction imported. Based on this ID it detects
> duplicate transactions. Since the date of the transaction is one item
> that goes into the creation of the ID, I don't understand why the detection
> should not work when there is no overlap.
>
> Can you provide some sample CSV files (together with the demo KMY file)
> that shows the problem? That would make it much easier to duplicate.

My apologies, that last paragraph was meant to indicate that *it does find
duplicate transactions* when they come from imported files and the
transactions are really duplicated.   It happens for me when I download and
import transactions for one month.  And then the next month I download
transactions again.  Only this new set of transactions might include one or
more transactions from the last file imported.  The system does properly
detect these.  And I'm very thankful that it does.  I'm sorry that I did
not write that up better.

> > This is something that I would categorize as a nice to have enhancement.
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Thomas Baumgart

> How many programmers does it take to change a
> light bulb? None. It's a hardware problem!

Sincerely,
Mark