KMyMoney 5.1.2 conflict with Olympia

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 26 19:22:55 BST 2022

On 2022.10.26 12:46, John Peters via KMyMoney wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a fan of KMyMoney that I've been using for years on Linux Ubuntu.
> I'm currently on Ubuntu 22.04 with KMyMoney 5.1.2
>
> Everything works fine.
>
> I recently tried an astrology programme called Olympia. Once I
> install Olympia, KMyMoney does not open. As soon as I uninstall
> Olympia KMyMoney reacts normally again.
>
> I have contacted the developers of Olympia and they have sent me a
> version with no external libs as they thought there was a conflict of
> modules. However, I still have the same problem.
>
> Do you have any suggestions as to why Olympia may prevent KMyMoney
> from opening and any possible solution?
>
> Might migrating to 5.1.3 make any difference?
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> John Peters

Can you give us a pointer to the source for Olympia?  I can't find
anything with a quick search except what looks like an expensive
Microsoft program.

Minor question - are you running Gnome or Plasma as your main desktop?
It shouldn't really matter,

When KMM fails to start, are there any error messages, or just a silent
failure?  Have you tried starting KMM from command line to see if
anything useful is reported to console?  You might also try "strace
kmymoney" and start by just looking at the last dozen lines or so.  The
total output will be pretty large, so capturing to a file might be
wise, so you can examine it at your leisure.  If you don't see anything
obvious, try grepping for fail or err.

Additional thoughts:  examine the list of files installed by Olympia.
(did you build from source or use the ubuntu package?)  Not likely, but
see if it might have overwritten some other system (especially KDE)
library.

I don't think 5.1.3 will be any different, but you could try the
appimage version easily enough, just to check.
(https://kmymoney.org/appimage.html)