Budgeting and loan and asset accounts

Dave Kelly dkellygb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:52:26 BST 2022

I have been using KMyMoney for three months now and mostly like the
program. However, the program seems to have problems which is making me
reconsider my decision to use the software.  I was wondering if I could
put my thoughts here and perhaps get some information on how to overcome
these issues and gain some insight into whether these problems will be
addressed in the near future.

The budgeting module could really use some improvements. First, the user
interface is not consistent with the rest of the program. The buttons in
the ledger entry have both an icon and descriptive text yet in the
budgeting section there is cryptic text only on the buttons. For
example, in budgeting you have upd and res. I guess upd stands for
update and res for restore.  However, the tool tip text uses "accept
..." and "Revert ...".  Likewise the buttons to Rename and Delete
budgets are labelled "Ren" and "Del". The icons for New, Ren, Del are
exactly the same. Given the size of these buttons, this abbreviating is
unnecessary.

My view is that dialog boxes are user unfriendly. The number of
confirmations required to update the budget is excessive.

Finally, the biggest problem I have is not being able to budget for
movements to other accounts. My income comes from repayment of a loan I
made to a company. Like most families, I would like to budget for
monthly movements to savings, retirement investment accounts and things
like auto loans.  Not being able to do this is a real hindrance to using
budgeting. I find that I have to download budget reports to spreadsheets
to add these budgeted movements to the existing budgets. A bit of
googling shows requests for being able to budget for transfers goes back
12 years.

It's a pity that there are these problems which makes the budgeting seem
unfinished. I really like the rest of the program and I am grateful for
all the volunteer effort which has gone into making this open source
product. But, if there are no plans to improve the budgeting section, I
will have to find another program.

Dave