ofx import ignoring one transaction

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Mar 19 07:19:09 GMT 2021

Hi Jack,

On Donnerstag, 18. März 2021 19:59:49 CET Jack wrote:

> With KMyMoney from 5.1 git head, and libofx 0.10.1, ofx import is
> failing to import one particular transaction.  This is with either
> direct connect or a downloaded file.  It looks like that the specific
> transaction type is not recognized.  (Note I've substituted 123456
> below for the actual account number.)
>
> The section from the ofx file is:
>            <INVBANKTRAN>
>              <STMTTRN>
>                <TRNTYPE>DIRECTDEP
>                <DTPOSTED>20210317110000.000[-5:EST]</DTPOSTED>
>                <TRNAMT>2800
>                <FITID>20210317AF051005900003552
>                <NAME>Direct Deposit
>                <MEMO>IRS  TREAS 310 OSTROFF, JACK H & MARG
>              </STMTTRN>
>              <SUBACCTFUND>CASH
>            </INVBANKTRAN>
>
> and ofxdump produces:
>
> ofx_proc_transaction():
>      Account ID : www.mldirect.ml.com 123456
>      Transaction type: DIRECTDEP: Direct deposit
>      Date posted: Wed Mar 17 11:00:00 2021 EDT
>      Total money amount: 2800.00
>      # of units: -2800.0000 (bonds: face value; options: contracts; all
> others: shares)
>      Unit price: 1.0000 (bonds: % of par; options: premium per share of
> underlying; all others: price per share)
>      Financial institution's ID for this transaction:
> 20210317AF051005900003552
>      Investment transaction type: INVBANKTRAN (Transfer cash in and out
> of the investment account)
>      Name of payee or transaction description: Direct Deposit
>      Extra transaction information (memo): IRS  TREAS 310 OSTROFF, JACK
> H & MARG
>      Funding sub account type: CASH
>
> If I run from command line, I see:
>
> OfxImporterPlugin::storeStatements() with 1 statements called
> OfxImporterPlugin::importStatement start
> KMyMoneyPlugin::KMMStatementInterface::import start
> Updating account in MyMoneyStatementReader::startImport failed

This means, the plugin has already converted the OFX specifics into the
KMyMoney general statement import format. You can turn on logging for it
and check for any peculiarities.

> Importing statement for 'Investment account 123456 at broker
> www.mldirect.ml.com'
> Found  "VIATRIS INC"  with id  "E000001"
> Found  "PFIZER INC"  with id  "E000002"
> Found  "ML BANK DEPOSIT PROGRAM"  with id  "E000003"
> Found  "INVESCO S AND P SMALLCAP HEALTH CARE ETF"  with id  "E000004"
> Processing transactions (Investment account 123456 at broker
> www.mldirect.ml.com)
> Processing transactions done (Investment account 88055741 at broker
> www.mldirect.ml.com)
> Importing statement for 'Investment account 123456 at broker
> www.mldirect.ml.com' done
>
> Note that "Updating .... failed" was present with either the original
> account number or the replacement, in either my original data file, or
> a new one with only a new investment and brokerage account I created
> for testing.  I've tried changing "DIRECTDEP" to various other values,
> with no change in the import behavior - no transactions are imported.
> What is odd is that a nearly identical deposit in January imported with
> no problem - but importing an OFX file from the bank for that date now
> also seems to ignore that transaction.  That makes me wonder if this is
> a change in behavior of either KMM or libofx.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

See above.

'Only wimps use backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)' - Linus Torvalds