Performance

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Jan 10 07:06:00 GMT 2021

On Samstag, 9. Januar 2021 22:55:04 CET Nathan M. Murray wrote:

> I have been using Kmymoney for my current dataset since 2015.  I am using the XML storage option at the moment.  I also am using GPG to encrypt the file.
>
> Since v. 5 I have noticed a lag of 10 - 30 sec when opening and saving the file.  Not sure if this is due to the GPG aspect or dataset size (805.6 kb).  Currently using v. 5.1.0 (Pop_OS).
>
> File details:  12,511 Transactions, Splits 23,849, Schedules 25, Prices 435.

I doubt that the filesize and the number of objects is a problem. Your specific hardware certainly can play a role.

I recently made some performance comparisons between the 5.1 and master branch and noticed, that the most time when loading a file is spent in rendering the home view (which we eventually have to fix).

You can verify that as follows:

a) start KMyMoney (I expect it comes up with the home view)
b) Select the "Start with last selected view" in the General/View settings
c) Select the "Accounts" view and quit KMyMoney
d) start KMyMoney again and check if the delay changes or stays the same and report back

> When does the performance decrease with XML and increase with SQL?  I understand SQL doesn't support GPG at this time.

In case the delay changes in d) there is no benefit in using the SQL backend. KMyMoney does support SQLCipher as encrypted DB backend.

BTW: I do testing here with the following parameters:

   File details:  71,259 Transactions, Splits 165,089, Schedules 30, Prices 3800.

and can confirm the above. Loading time with KMyMoney 5.1 on my machine takes around 10 seconds in accounts view and more than 30 in home view. It also depends which reports you show on the home view (there are settings to change that)

MicroSoft Windows - from the people who brought you edlin