More pdf2kmymoney (overflos/wrapping lines)

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Jan 1 07:58:58 GMT 2021

On Freitag, 1. Januar 2021 00:08:23 CET Jack wrote:

> I really hate to be negative, but I think you're fighting a losing
> battle.  If you can program with almost any scripting language, and are
> willing to spend some time experimenting, you can likely pull together
> something that works for you, depending on how long you think the
> effort is worth.
>
> On the sign of transactions, how would KMM know whether it's a deposit
> or withdrawal?  The csv import gives you two ways.  First, the amount
> column needs to have minus signs on withdrawals.  (There is a check box
> to reverse sign if the deposits show up as negative.)  The other way is
> to have separate columns for credits and for debits.  If the statement
> actually uses positive numbers for both, and doesn't give you any way
> to reverse the appropriate ones, you will probably end up with as much
> effort in post-import editing as you would have had just typing them in
> manually in the first place.  Remember, you will probably also need to
> post-import adjust most of the categories.

First of all: Happy New Year to everyone! Let's forget 2020 and look ahead.

@Jack: just FYI, KMyMoney's CSV importer will gain a third method which is the
amount in one column without sign and an identifier if it is a credit or
debit in another column. I added this during the last couple of days since
my bank changed their CSV format last month (again).

I am with Jack and Brandon here: you're fighting a losing battle. Your
efforts are really appreciated (make KMyMoney simple for the user and
provide procedures how to do certain things) but you picked one of the
toughest areas here.

It's like explaining the procedures of a complex medical surgery to
someone who has no medical knowledge and has never done it before.
The necessary procedure is not the same in any case as it heavily
depends on the anamnesis of the patient, so you have to carefully
adjust it every time to not harm the person.

Replace "medical" with "programming", "patient" with "PDF of your bank"
and "person" with "KMyMoney" you may understand what we three try to
explain.

Oh, and btw, for the development questions we do have a specific
developer mailinglist at kmyoney-devel at kde.org where these kind of
questions are better hosted. So if this continues, please switch lists.

It does not make sense to hire smart people, and then
have them follow stupid rules. -- Oleg Vishnepolsky on LinkedIn