Several entries accounted twice

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed Aug 18 20:08:30 BST 2021

Kevin,

On Mittwoch, 18. August 2021 05:39:35 CEST Kevin Burkwood via KMyMoney wrote:

> Hi KMyMoney users,
>
> I have a problem for which I cannot find any answers in the forums.
>
> I'm a reasonably new user of KMyMoney and have been pleasantly surprised
> with it.
>
> But, recently, it changed the opening balance line in such a way that
> the deposit figure is correct but the balance figure is different.

It (i.e. KMyMoney) certainly does not change anything by itself without
user intervention. Since you don't mention the version you use, I can only
provide some generic hints. Did you change the sort order of the ledger?
You can do that by right clicking on the header. Double clicking on an
entry in the right column of the sort options dialog changes between
ascending and descending.

Are those 4 entries you talk about show up before the opening balance transaction?
Then the behavior is normal, as the balance is calculated and not stored
in a persistent manner. Does the total balance match the one of the real
account?

> through much searching, I have found that the difference between these
> two values is as if 4 later entries were duplicated as if they were done
> prior to the opening balance being added. These 4 entries were all put
> in one after the other on the same date with other entries both before
> and after them on that same date. the 4 entries are still recognised in
> the correct place (they are all counted twice). I have tried deleting
> and re-entering them but this makes no difference as the error in the
> opening balance line till remains.

I doubt it is an error ;) I don't exactly understand what you explain here.
If you can, provide a screenshot and black the sensitive areas.

> Can anyone please help?

We certainly try.

I encourage the use of end to end email encryption

GPG key: http://pgp.zdv.uni-mainz.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=0x8D4DE062AA2EB01C
Fingerprint: D69A 745A 5533 1F44 F404 D825 8D4D E062 AA2E B01C