wizard y

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Dec 24 09:34:29 GMT 2020

Hi,

On Freitag, 11. Dezember 2020 05:10:39 CET Aaron Mehl wrote:

> Hi,My name is Aaron, I am working on a Users Guide and some questions popped up.First, there are many ways to open the New Accounts wizard.Why and when would a use  choose each of these different way to open the wizard?Here is a list, but it may not be complete:
>
>    - From the toolbar the new icon and the New Account icon
>    - From the menubar>File>New and Account>New account
>    - In the Account View Pane Right Click>New Account
>    - When you run KMyMoney for the first time
> Also, I see that if I click New Institution, I don't get the New Account wizard, but a separate window for institutions. Why isn't this true for New Accounts. Finally why isn't there a default keybinding for adding a new account?

This mail is lingering here for some time, so time to send an answer.

Most of your questions can be answered with 'historical growth of the application'. But seriously, the different places an action can be started is common among other (KDE) applications. You can turn off the menu and the toolbar at the top and still be able to access the 'create new account' action via the accounts view and context menu.

You mention File/New and Account/New and their resp. icons in the toolbar: those are two different animals. It is just that as part of the workflow for creating a new file the user is asked if he wants to create an account right away. The other one will create additional accounts. When you run KMyMoney for the first time, it starts the File/New workflow automatically.

For the new institution there was no need for a wizard, so nobody developed one. I am not sure about the fact, that we had a similar single dialog function for creating an account in the past. If we did, it was removed because of duplicate functionality and people were in favor of the wizard.

About the keybinding: good question. I don't know. Propose one and we can try to implement it.

Linux - Life is too short for reboots