mapping accounts (plugins)

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 17 21:47:41 GMT 2020

On 12/17/20 2:48 PM, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 17. Dezember 2020 17:48:26 CET Jack wrote:
>
>> KMM continues to use plugins to provide an increasing amount of its
>> functionality.  From your perspective, whether or not a plugin is used
>> for a particular action is probably not relevant to the user. The main
>> reason for pointing out that KBanking is a plugin (and other terminology
>> might be as effective) is that when KBanking is used to configure an
>> account or download data, the UI used is part of KBanking and not KMM,
>> so in many if not most cases, the problem needs to be referred upstream
>> to the KBanking team.
> Plugins are used to keep the application small to some extent. This reduces
> by a user.
>
> BTW: The "upstream KBanking team" is in fact identical to the KMyMoney
> developer team ;)

I knew there was overlap, but I didn't realize the teams were
identical.  Oops and sorry on my part.

Technical question - since configure time options can be used to control
whether or not some features are compiled, does plugin vs. regular code
make much of a difference in size?  I assume theoretically, a plugin
could be compiled completely separately from KMM, and then found at run
time.  However, at present, are there any of these?  The load time
advantage is clearly for plugins only, since you can have one compiled
and available, but disabled by the user.