mapping accounts

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 17 21:42:18 GMT 2020

On 12/17/20 2:38 PM, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 17. Dezember 2020 17:48:26 CET Jack wrote:
[snip to focus only on one detail
>> Updating the account downloads transactions.  The start date for the
>> request is configurable, and can be set to a specific date, N days
>> before  today, or the date of last update.   (For the last one, it
>> actually uses a few days before the actual date.  The user should know
>> this in order to not get confused when a duplicate transaction appears.
>> This can happen if the user changed the previous transaction in a way
>> that causes KMM to not automatically match the new one to the old one.)
> Hmm, I have to object here: it can only happen, when the bank (not the user)
> changes something in the format of a transaction. Changes of the user do
> not have an impact on the duplicate detection. The duplicate detection
> is based on a hash value generated when the transaction is downloaded and
> stored with the transaction. It cannot be modified by the user. So if you
> download a transaction again, the hash value generated is the same and the
> duplicate is detected. Voilà.

I'll have to pay more attention the next time, as there are actually two
sides to my issue.  As an example, I pay my credit card bill online from
my checking account.  Each bank downloads the transaction as a payment
(one incoming, one outgoing) and when I get the first one (whichever of
those accounts I update first) I change it from a regular payment to a
transfer, which creates the matching split in the other account.  I
thought (but may well be wrong) that if that transaction downloads
again, it doesn't find the transfer as a duplicate.  However, it's quite
possible that I'm confusing this with downloading the transaction for
the other account, it doesn't match (which I know is different from
duplicate detection.)   This does not happen with "normal" transactions,
only ones I change to transfers,  I suppose it just shows that someone
who has used this software for over ten years can still get confused at
times about details.