mapping accounts

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Dec 17 19:38:50 GMT 2020

On Donnerstag, 17. Dezember 2020 17:48:26 CET Jack wrote:

> On 12/17/20 6:12 AM, Aaron Mehl wrote:
> > Another question since I can't test OFX for my bank. Is the importing
> > of statements via OFX automatic or must I make a request to get the
> > statement each month?

Did you check ofxhome.com if you can find details for your bank? The
directory can be found at https://www.ofxhome.com/index.php/home/directory

> I beleive there is an open wishlist to be able to schedule downloads,
> but for now, the user needs to explicitly update the account.

> > Are we only talking about statements or does each transaction at the
> > bank get shown?

> Updating the account downloads transactions.  The start date for the
> request is configurable, and can be set to a specific date, N days
> before  today, or the date of last update.   (For the last one, it
> actually uses a few days before the actual date.  The user should know
> this in order to not get confused when a duplicate transaction appears.
> This can happen if the user changed the previous transaction in a way
> that causes KMM to not automatically match the new one to the old one.)

Hmm, I have to object here: it can only happen, when the bank (not the user)
changes something in the format of a transaction. Changes of the user do
not have an impact on the duplicate detection. The duplicate detection
is based on a hash value generated when the transaction is downloaded and
stored with the transaction. It cannot be modified by the user. So if you
download a transaction again, the hash value generated is the same and the
duplicate is detected. VoilĂ .

> [...]

> > > subset of importing transactions, even though it's not completely
> > > accurate.  File imports can handle multiple file types, but online
> > > import is essentially OFX. However, there are two overall frameworks
> > > for online access to account information:  KBanking (aqbanking) and
> > > OFX
> > > direct connect.  A user is likely to need only one of these, and
> > > which
> > > one depends on what your institutions support.  KBanking is of us
> > > primarily in europe, and direct connect/OFX in the US. (I simply
> > > don't
> > > recall much discussion relative to other geographic areas.)  KBanking
> > > also handles actions other than simple download of transactions, but
> > > only use libofx, sp that's all I can say about KBanking without
> > > guessing.
> > >
> > > At least for libofx, if the automatic mapping does not find your
> > > institution, it is most likely that your institution simply doesn't
> > > support direct connect.  The ability to manually enter those fields
> > > is
> > > for the rare cases where the institution does support download, but
> > > does not publish that info in a way that the usual channels find it.
> > > On rare occasion - the bank will actually give a customer those
> > > numbers, but usually not.  In that case, a web search MIGHT find
> > > them.
> > > Further discussion about this topic can get philosophical and
> > > political, but based on my personal experience and some discussions
> > > on
> > > this list, banks don't do their own OFX support, they buy it from
> > > someone else, and to keep costs down, they say they only support
> > > Quicken, for example.  If you have a problem, they direct you to call
> > > intuit.  They often explicitly say they don't support anything else,
> > > and you are often lucky if they will talk to you at all, and are even
> > > luckier if they are actually able to help you.
> > >
> > > For example, many banks do not provide adequate error messages when
> > > they can't complete an OFX request, and only say that an invalid user
> > > name and/or password was used.  They often wont tell you which
> > > versions
> > > of Quicken they support, so you may have to guess and try different
> > > values when attempting to map the account.  They also won't generally
> > > tell you whether the ClientUID is required, so you may have to guess
> > > and try with and without.
> > >
> > > To your specific questions: when you say you see the routing and
> > > account number - where do you see them?  If you entered them when
> > > creating the account, and see them in a KBanking window, it's
> > > probably
> > > just because it found them in the KMM info for the account.  I doubt
> > > very much they will help in finding the correct mapping information
> > > for
> > > the institution.
> > >
> > > I'll expand further, if I think of anything else to add.

On Windoze it helps to reboot, on UNIX it helps to be root!