accrued expenses

Gary Kirkpatrick pegngary at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 07:08:00 BST 2018

Sometimes we pay a bill for a service to be performed in a future month,
eg, airline tickets.  Say we pay for an airline ticket in December and use
it in May.  We want the expense to show up in the month of May.  So we
created an account called Payables and Receivables (P and R).  We show the
credit card payment as a transfer to the P&R account and create a
corresponding line item in the PR account with the apprpriate category and
the date we want the expense to appear.

We use a Report by Payee to reconcile the R&P account - the balance for
each Payee should always be zero, and the total balance should always be
zero..  Sometimes it is not.  The problem is that when I run a report by
payee, the payee names for line items representing transfers do not appear,
making it impossible for me to figure out where the error is in the P&R
account.

Is there another way I should use to reconcile the R&P account??

thanks

gary
--

   -  See my art and blog site <http://www.garyjkirkpatrick.com/>   Facebook