Change Check account into asset

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 12 21:54:00 UTC 2017

On 2017.04.12 17:39, hugo borrell wrote:
> Due to french tax requirements, I'm using a tree of "asset" account
> for all my accounts. Unfortunatly, I made a mistake and created a
> "check" account and I wonder how I could change it into an "asset"
> account without cancelling all operations allready entered.
>
> When I try to "edit" the account, I only can choose in between
> "check", "savings" and "cash" as far as account type is concerned.
>
> Any idea about what I can do about it ? I would really like this
> check account to become an "asset" account.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hugo
>
> PS : This was the same on KMM 4.7.2 and KMM 4.8.0 (win 10 laptop).
I don't think anything about this aspect has changed recently, so the
version wouldn't make a difference.  I'm also curious what the tax
requirements are that you can meet with asset accounts but not other
types of accounts.

One thing you might try is to create the asset account you want, and
then open the ledger for the checking account and see if you can move
the transactions from the checking to the asset account.  I haven't
actually tried to do this, but if I select a transaction in a checking
account, the "move transaction" dialog does have asset accounts on the
list, so it looks like it should work.