Licensing for models and datasets

Emmet O'Neill emmetoneill.pdx at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 16:33:06 GMT 2024

1.) Does the dataset contain full, original training images or just plain
text links to images?

If it's just links and metadata, then one of the various CCs is fine.
Some popular datasets include entire images, in which case... I don't know.
I'd avoid that...

2.) If we don't own the data used to "train" the binary blob model, do we
even own the model?

Obviously only the owner of some work can license it to others.
We're kind of in legal no-man's land with all this stuff, so I don't know
and I don't expect you to know either, but it feels like due diligence to
consider it.
Does Intel have any suggestions about this? What do they do?

Even doing my best to put aside my personal (well-documented) feelings on
copyright and generative AI aside, I don't really understand the
legal/licensing mechanics of all this stuff to help you make a good
judgement here.
If nothing else I'm curious to see where this stuff leads Krita.