Krita Commitment to Empowering Human Artists (CEHA)

Halla Rempt halla at valdyas.org
Wed Feb 21 09:26:52 GMT 2024

Here's my conclusion from this trainwreck of a discussion:

* When it comes to choosing between idealistic and pragmatic, let's keep in mind that Krita is a free and open source application, so we're already idealistic first.

* Spending money and time on something only because we're afraid of missing out on a trend is no good.

* We shouldn't adopt this merge request: it is too controversial: I like the idea, but not everyone does, and I don't see a concensus emerging

* It might be worth it to invest time into Tiar's proposal for automating inking, because it's by and large the most useful proposal, but we should avoid spending too much time on it only to create a tool that is only rarely used. I would like to see a plan for implementation that shows:

 ** dependencies needed, and an examination of how cross-platform those dependencies are
 ** model needed, and how users could retrain that model using their own work
 ** time estimation. If it's going to take six months to implement, then it might actually impede other, more important work

* Figure out a way to make this palatable to our users, reputation-wise. Because, like it or not, the flight into AI by the big tech companies makes the reputation of AI really bad amongst many people.

Halla

Ps. Just as a datapoint for people who consider ChatGPT harmless: I get half a dozen mails a day generated by ChatGPT asking whether we would consider paid ChatGPT articles on krita.org. It's a waste of my time, and it's impossible to autofilter all those mails.