Krita Commitment to Empowering Human Artists (CEHA)

Halla Rempt halla at valdyas.org
Fri Feb 16 14:40:45 GMT 2024

I found it quite well-written, actually, and a good starting point for thinking about AI. I especially like the focus on making clear that Krita is artists, not for art.

But before we do anything with AI we need to consider a number of points:

* Ethics. Obviously using models based on stolen data is a no-go. Adding AI slime that is already drowning the world is also a no-go: Krita should always focus on helping the artist do their work, not replace the artist.

* Usefulness. Do artists really want the features we're considering?

* Practicability. Is the effort needed to integrate i.e. automatic inking in Krita worth it? How much effort would it really be? What about extra dependencies.

* GPLv3. Is the inclusion of a blob that the user cannot replace, i.e. a model, not against our license. Krita's functionality needs to be changeable by the user, after all.

* Reputation. Like it or not, but the people who like AI most are not artists, but tech people, or people who use images casually next to their real work. Will there be a backlash if we spend time and money on AI?

* Future proofness. Is AI a fad, like NFT's were, or something with a future?