Meeting: 3rdparty and nightlies

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Jan 25 08:48:39 GMT 2023

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 2:18 AM L. E. Segovia <amy at amyspark.me> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Amy,

> (cc Ben for specifics)
>
> - What kind of packages are being required by syadmin? Will they be
> granular image layers, like the ASWF does for their Docker setup?
> https://github.com/AcademySoftwareFoundation/aswf-docker

The packages could come in whatever form works best for Krita, however for
the sake of simplicity and being cross platform i'd suggest a simple
tarball for each dependency.
You can use the DESTDIR / INSTALL_PATH variables to divert the "make
install" phase of each dependency in turn to a separate folder which can
then be turned into a tarball.

This is how Linux distributions do their packaging, and is also how the CI
system works (with said CI artifacts also supporting apps.kde.org).
You can find an example artifact for Krita at
https://invent.kde.org/groups/teams/ci-artifacts/-/packages?search[]=krita

> - Whether Docker or not, is Sysadmin making available the container
> registry feature of Gitlab?

There are no plans to make the Container Registry feature of Gitlab
available, as we have a namespace on Dockerhub which hosts our images.

If you are thinking of creating custom images, i'd first advise you first
to strongly consider using the centrally maintained/updated images.
If they are actually completely unsuitable then submit a MR to add the
appropriate image there.

For Linux the centos7-craft image is the image used to build all our other
appimages, so please don't reinvent the wheel there.

For Windows you likely will need to create a custom image due to Krita's
use of MIngW-LLVM and Strawberry Perl among other things. Given you still
need at least part of the Windows SDK, please use windows-msvc2019 as your
base (which also includes Python and Git) - the Windows SDK components are
a real mission to get installed reliably in Docker which took more than a
few goes to get working and I don't fancy looking after that in more than
one place.

> Cheers,
>
> amyspark

Thanks,