Merge Service still in use?

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Dec 19 09:55:46 GMT 2023

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 10:47 PM Dmitry Kazakov <dimula73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The main problem for me is that I want to have the patch merged asap, to
> be able to test/resolve issues of some other patches in combination with
> this one. That's why I just merge that without rebase-pipeline completion.
>
> Speaking truly, I'm not very happy with our 'always fast-forward merge'
> policy [0], but given GitLab doesn't provide an option to switch policy
> on-the-fly, it should be fine for now.

That global policy is in place for good reason - and not only because
people want a clean history.
It is also there because merge commits cannot be easily reverted and you do
not want to try reverting a merge commit (it ends very very badly - we've
had to force push repositories out of that mess before)

Cheers,
Ben