please test master ( -> performance topic)

David Revoy davidrevoy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:27:32 UTC 2012

Hi,

Thanks for your work Boud about performances. I *really* appreciate all
the work that could be done in this direction. This is the most
important topic in my opinion for Krita ( this and of course polishing
existing features , as text / navigation / textures / etc... ) I tested
a before / after the change ; using a set of rules* I'm used to do for
comparing digital painting apps. I saw a very subtle advantage in openGL
( but maybe it also comes from the Nvidia updates ) like 1/10 better.
This mainly affect brush with smudge/dulling. For the no-openGL canvas ;
I experienced no changes.

Here I also installed a dual boot with a Win7 to test performances
differences between four digital painting softwares** and Krita. The
difference is like going from 1 to 5. Watching this statement was a bit
hard, and make me sad for the slow FLOSS tools.

Where all the computing effort of my hardware goes ? :-)
I can't barely demo Krita on my laptop , a dual core 2Ghz , 3GB of ram
for painting smoothly a 2484x1200pixel concept art previz at 50% of
viewport. For performing this, I must use my workstation , a icore7
2,3Ghz , with a Nvidia GT220 and 8Gb ram ; and I'm happy I can, but it's
exclude a lot of user also.

Of course, I'm deeply aware than back in 2009 while doing concept for
Sintel, Krita couldn't paint smoothly on a 1000x1000px canvas with the
simpliest rounded brush***. A long and wondefull road was made, there is
not a single doubt about it, and thanks to all developers involved into
this field. But , I think you'll understand it is reasonable to ask
Krita to be five time more fast.

I'm also aware than tweaking the deep engine of Krita is not a little
work , and rare people can do it. I assume it's also a no-fun job,
complex. Developer(s) on this task should be paid for to can invest full
time on it.
Community could contribute around with a fund rising about that , as in
2009 again ***.

-David

( * personnal set of rules : my test is only about how it feels to paint
a sketch with various brush on a A4-300dpi ; at 25% view port zoom ,
with large brush ; I repeat the test on a multiply layer ; under the
multiply layer ; merging layers speed ; and color action as 'level' /
'hue/sat" change ... for the brush I use a simple hard rounded with no
visible 'spacing' and pressure on opacity ; and also brush mask ; and
also brushmask + dulling or smudging ; I'm used to judge software like
that ... it's a sort of my personnal calibration to how get how a
software feels. )

(** digital painting softwares tested on Win7 : last OpenCanvas , Corel
Painter 12 , SAI Tools , Photoshop CS2 )

(*** 2009 story :
http://dot.kde.org/2009/12/02/krita-team-seeking-sponsorship-take-krita-next-level
, can't a similar fund rising be done again ? )