KDE 4.

Silvio Grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Wed Jul 20 23:26:53 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

John Culleton wrote:
>My advice to Lydia, whomever she may be, is to find a way
to make KDE apps run without Amorak.

I have never tried Amarok.
On the other hand, I have always read it is very powerful.

This month, on a Linux Italian magazine (Linux pro:
http://www.sprea.it/scheda.php?id_riv=42) I have read a very thorough
comparison.
It was about a set of Linux Music players.

To start with, the writer pointed out Amarok very great set of features.
But, in the end, the biggest criticism against Amarok regarded its Gui.
According to this magazine it is still too much difficult to work with
Amarok.
For the record, the winner of this review has been Banshee :-)

In my view, the biggest problem about many Kde softwares is that they don't
have a big Company which supports them...
They usually have a very great set of features (thanks to the Qt toolkit
which attracts many developers).
Unfortunately, this richness is both their force and their problem.
Having many features means they are often buggy or not enough documented.

In the end, for every open source software, it is beneficial to have some
big Company which supports them :-)
E.g. LibreOffice - Novell; Ubuntu - Canonical; Blender - Blender Foundation.

Microsoft has loads of full-time: developers, Gui designers, folks who write
documentation, sales representitives etc

In my opinion, another problem about Kde softwares is that it is often very
difficult to port them on Windows and Mac :-)
Yep. I am aware I *should* try them on KDE :-)
But if you think about Gimp, Inkscape, MyPaint, Scribus etc (all of them
cross-platform) you know what I mean.

P.s: I am always amazed about many Kde softwares :-)
It is incredible to have software such as K3B, Digikam, Kdenlive and of
course Krita for free.
Most of them didn't have a Company which supported their development and yet
they are surprisingly powerful :-)

KUDOS to all their VERY talented developers!

Best regards,

Silvio