KDE 4.

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jul 20 21:43:31 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 20 July 2011 Jul, John Culleton wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 03:27:15 am Boudewijn Rempt
> wrote:
> > By then, I hope we'll
> > have grown enough that someone steps up as our community
> manager, like
> > Lydia has done for Amarok.
>

> You mean someone is actually trying to fix Amorak? I
> became so annoyed at its spurious error messages on
> Slackare 13.37 that I am in the process of installing non-
> KDE software wherever possible, e.g. Claws-mail instead of
> Kmail that I have used for a long, long time. Indeed KDE 4
> is an almost total mess, to the point that I have switched
> my GUI to XFCE. But when I fire up Kmail I still get those
> stupid Akonadi messages. I have to start Kmail twice each
> time. And the Kwallet password message comes up and takes
> control in the middle of doing something else, so I enter
> a sentence fragment instead of my password. The list goes
> on.
>
> My advice to Lydia, whomever she may be, is to find a way
> to make KDE apps run without Amorak. There seems to be no
> value added. The Kaddressbook and Kmail don't talk to each
> other, and so on.

Amarok and Akonadi are two different things: the first is a music player, and Lydia is/was the community manager for the developer and user community around that.

The second, akonadi, is a smart storage system for pim data including email. I don't think my version of kmail already uses akonadi for its email storage, but I do sometimes get the kwallet messages -- but I click them away...