Patch: Many composite/blend modes mostly compatible to Adobe Photoshop (c)

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 15:23:42 CET 2011

"Do you mean when you have several other layer and you create a new layer on
top of them and paint

> on the new layer, then the combined transparency (alpha channels) of the
> layers under the new layer
> is copied to the new layer and the color is used from the brush?
> If you mean this, it would actually be a cool idea. Would be pretty useful
> (at least for me :D), but this is not really
> a blending mode (i mean, yes it somehow is but not really :D). I think the
> brush code would need some modifications for that. Can you tell me a program
> that support this (so i can try it out). I haven't found something like this
> in Gimp or Photoshop."

That's the idea, but exactly "the combined transparency (alpha channels) of
the layers under the new layer" is not "copied"  to the new layer, you still
paint on the whole page, as with any other layer blend mode (meaning if you
turn it back to Normal blend mode the "blend effect" disapear…)

I use this painting/layer blend mode on TVPaint (the best commercial
Painting application to me ;) )
(There was an open beta for Linux but it was usable until January 1st, I
don't think there is a new one yet. If you can try the win or mac demo)

Also this blend mode is in Open Source app SYNFIG STUDIO !!! it's a vector
program but the Onto mode is there (with a few original useful others, like
Straight and Straight Onto…)
Look at here: http://www.synfig.org/wiki/Blend_Method_Parameter