Patch: Many composite/blend modes mostly compatible to Adobe Photoshop (c)

Silvio Heinrich plassy at web.de
Sat Jan 15 13:57:32 CET 2011

On 01/14/2011 11:58 PM, Timothée Giet wrote:
> "Doesn't the "alpha lock" do that?"
>
> No, "alpha lock" locks alpha painting on the canvas where it is
> activated only.
> This is not the same thing.
> with blending mode I can have several painted layer under and paint
> only onto them..
> all this in a group layer of course to don't paint on the background
> if there is one.

Do you mean when you have several other layer and you create a new layer
on top of them and paint
on the new layer, then the combined transparency (alpha channels) of the
layers under the new layer
is copied to the new layer and the color is used from the brush?
If you mean this, it would actually be a cool idea. Would be pretty
useful (at least for me :D), but this is not really
a blending mode (i mean, yes it somehow is but not really :D). I think
the brush code would need some modifications for that. Can you tell me a
program that support this (so i can try it out). I haven't found
something like this in Gimp or Photoshop.