How to begin ?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Aug 10 23:24:48 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 22:56, Michael Thaler wrote:

> Do you have some references to useful papers about bicubic interpolation?

Not really. I've found few books that specifically deal with 2D algorithms,
and I must be reading the wrong journals. So what I know, I know from the
source of the Gimp and websites like
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/colour/bicubic/. I notice that
applications like Photoshop offer a choice between a 'fast' and a
'best' (where best is described as bicubic) scaling, but for the life of me,
I have never been able to discover any difference in performance, although
the difference in quality is clear.

> am currently writing my Ph. D. phesis in theoretical physics and I should
> be able to handle the math but I no experience at all with image
> processing. But I think it would be fun to write some really good rescale
> algorithm. If someone gives me a hand, maybe I try it.

That would be very, very cool. I'm sure that there's a whole literature about
it, most of it in Siggraph papers that any university library should have.
Qt's smoothscale is from libpnm, which surprised me a bit.

> How do you actually develop Krita? I know how to check out Krita from CVS
> and I know how to compile and install it. If you want to change a file in
> your local CVS tree, do you actually check it out from that tree and work
> on it and check the modified version back in or do you directly modify the
> file in the local CVS tree.

I work in the checked out code for Krita -- changing the files in the result
of 'cvs co koffice'. If you haven't got KDE cvs commit access, you can create
a unified diff with cvs diff > mydiff. (Use the attached .cvsrc). Anyone with
commit access then can commit that diff using their own tree.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi