Tools

Patrick Julien freak at codepimps.org
Thu Nov 6 01:52:48 CET 2003

> > Hmm, well, when you select a color, you're actually selecting one for the
> > entire application, not just a tool.  I think the alternative could
> > really get confusing.  You would get presented with a dialog for each
> > tool (probably different instances of the same dialog) to actually select
> > a color.  Add to that the dialogs should be modeless, you could be
> > plowing tru you windows just to find the right color selector.
>
> No, I'm more thinking like the way you work with real paint or ink; there's
> one ink well, palette or however you'd like to visualize it (I'd prefer a
> palette where you can mix colours by using the tool to mix amounts of
> colour, as done in http://www.cs.unc.edu/~geom/DAB/). So there's one source
> of colour; when you touch a color with your tool, that becomes the color of
> that tool. No need to find the dialog with settings for that tool, just the
> palette.

I'm moving forward with the architecture changes since I don't think it
actually prevents such a model from working.  It's relatively straightforward
to only pick up the color change if and only if you are the current tool.

I would love to see what this widget and how productive people would be with
it.  In any case, to recap, I'm moving forward but I think this palette idea
is still relevant and this doesn't preclude it's inclusion when it's get
written, in fact, I would love to see it.