Some UI nitpicks

Bart Szyszka bart@gigabee.com
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:23:56 -0500

> > space that I might want to use for reference. I made an example image
> > in Photoshop:
> > http://www195.pair.com/gigabee/extras/photoshop-screenspace.png
> Your screenshot shows the classic MDI paradigm. KDE is actively discouraging
> MDI for usability reasons. Instead of mini-windows within the main window,
> everything is supposed to be docked along an edge as a panel or toolbar.
> There are no current screenshots up at the website,  so I slapped one up on
> mine real quick: http://www.usermode.org/krayon.png, for a limited time.
But then how do you account for the wasted space that'll be there when the
panels don't fill the right edge of the screen? Like in my example. I was able
to make the Photoshop panels ("palettes") compact enough so that I could
fit something in below them.

As far as your screenshot goes, is that what tabs look like with your particular
KDE2 theme or are those actually just toggled buttons? And will I be able to
drag a tab/button from one row of them into the other row like I'm able to do in
Photoshop? Also, would people be able to arrange the panels horizontaly? I
know a lot of people who do that with the Photoshop palettes. What about being
able to have multiple images on the screen at the same time? That's absolutely
essential. Is each image going to have to have its own set of toolbars and panels
surrounding it (which would seem to fit the non-MDI way)? I could see that working
for Kword, but not with Krayon where, again, screen space is a top priority.

- Bart