Some UI nitpicks

David Johnson david@usermode.org
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:11:09 -0800

On Sunday 10 December 2000 11:44 am, Bart Szyszka wrote:

> Do you guys have a screenshot of this sidebar? What if the panels don't
> fill the entire right edge of the screen? Is there just unusable gray space
> extending the sidebar or could I for example place a smaller image in that
> space that I might want to use for reference. I made an example image
> in Photoshop:
> http://www195.pair.com/gigabee/extras/photoshop-screenspace.png

Your screenshot shows the classic MDI paradigm. KDE is actively discouraging
MDI for usability reasons. Instead of mini-windows within the main window,
everything is supposed to be docked along an edge as a panel or toolbar.
There are no current screenshots up at the website,  so I slapped one up on
mine real quick: http://www.usermode.org/krayon.png, for a limited time.

> Photoshop has an 'Options' tab that changes depending on what tool is
> selected. If the Gradient tool is selected, you'd see the options for the
> gradient tool. If the text tool is selected, you'd see the options for the
> text tool. Gimp has a seperate "dialog" box for the options of a tool and I
> find that extremely annoying as the optoins should be a panel in the
> program too (just like in Photoshop).

That is an excellent idea.

--
David Johnson