[Kdenlive-devel] Howdy. How can I help?

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Apr 22 18:53:33 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Gabriel Gazzán <gabcorreo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I have the privilege to have the opportunity of being working for free
> to translate free tools, indeed sacrificing relations with my family,
> friends and the company I lead, and I do would like that all these tools
> (Kdenlive, Blender, LibreOffice, let´s leave TuxPaint out of this) would be
> as professional as possible, and used by professionals as much as they would
> like.
>
> Of course, the day would also come when I stop enjoying it and it´d also be
> my chioce to not work anymore on this for free or altogether, and dedicate
> my time and efforts to whatever puts me then a smile on my face again.
> ...that´s the greatness of the free world.

Yes, that is great, but is it fair to compare weeks of translation to
a decade of design, analysis, coding, debugging, documentation,
website maintenance, server administration, and so on? Of course, you
still deserve to have some input that is respected by the others.

The subject has come up in the past about "for use by professionals"
versus "professional quality." Of course, I believe I can speak for
all the developers when I say no one is opposed to striving for
professional quality (within limits), but I have to put limits in my
areas of contribution on feature requests for professional-oriented
features without an incentive.

It is great that someone interested in EDL output made kdenparse.
Maybe it worked for the author's needs. Now, some people want to
target compatibility with blender specifically. I have no personal
interest in the kdenparse project, but at least two professional users
are here asking for developers' help. All I am asking is that
interested parties put in just a little time to do the analysis and
troubleshooting and documenting the workflow to make it easier for the
developer, or it might never get done. Ideally, someone could actually
fork the github project and fix the simple Python code. I am not so
sure we will want to use kdenparse as-is, spawn a python process to
run it, and try to support it as an independent project. I am actually
inclined to port the code to C++ as a MLT module, but that road needs
a little more paving. I would like to start from working python code
and a little guidance on how to test it. You see what I mean? If the
people (not just the pros) who are interested give just a little more,
I will also give for the health of the project and my potential future
need. Even if I only get the analysis and workflow doc out of it and
have to modify the python myself, I will as a preliminary coding task.

--
+-DRD-+