[Kdenlive-devel] Tarball Update

Rolf Dubitzky Rolf.Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 10 09:06:51 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 23:46, Jason Wood wrote:
> Hope the new job is going well :-)

Looks good so far....

> They are indeed visible - is the arts plugin running by default now? I
> noticed a great improvement in video/sound sync.

Each plugin has a priority value. The priority of the aRts audio sink is
higher than that of the OSS sink, i.e. piave tries aRts first. If the
connection to the aRts daemon fails, piave will try the next plugin, i.e.
OSS. I have had no problems even though kdenlive is starting piave inside
artsdsp, but I think it would be nice if the "renderer"-configuration, would
not read "/usr/local/bin/piave" but "artsdsp /usr/local/bin/piave -d". That
way I could add a couple of more switches and take out artsdsp if I wanted
to. But this is not very important since I find it pretty convenient to
start/debug piave in a seperate shell.

> And the AVI input plugin is a happy addition - I have a number of AVI files
> originally captured in Adobe Premiere that I can now use in Kdenlive
> without converting first :-)

Interesting, so it works? Keep in mind, that piave is not using the seperate
audiotrack, but the audio which is interleaved inside the DV video stream, so
in case you did some audio editing in Adobe, piave will probably miss it.

> > Many things changed inside.
> >
> > Please test the CVS HEAD and let me know what I screwed up. I still don't
> > have my computer at the new place, and it's difficult for me to test
> > everything on my laptop.
>
> There is a HUGE memory leak somewhere in piave CVS :-( If you try to edit
> something in Kdenlive for any length of time, you will find that your
> computer starts to thrash the hard drive quite vigorously. According to
> top, piave reached 80% memory usage before my laptop became completely
> unresponsive and killed the X server.
> I am not sure as to what was causing the increases in memory usage, but my
> suspicions are when kdenlive passes piave a new scenelist.

Oooopsy.. ;-)   Can you tell me what exactly you are doing?

> On the Kdenlive front, it appears that I am sending too many scenelists to
> piave again with the changes to the way the timeline worked, I will fix
> this.
>
> Also, unless anyone thinks it is a bad idea, I shall turn off the debug
> monitor by default for the release (it can be re-enabled in the debug
> window, but will have to be done each time the app is run) - the amount of
> information it spews out affects the speed of the interface too much at the
> moment :-)

I think it would be much better if one could just dum the output to a file, I
find the small list pretty unreadable. I don't use it anyway, I just start
piave in a seperate shell.

I have a couple of oother small things which I'll post as soon as I find the
paper where I noted them down...

Rolf.Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de