[Kdenlive-devel] Tarball Update

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 21:46:41 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 09 Sep 2003 1:00 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> sorry for the long delay, but I was quite bussi with my new job and finding
> an affordable appartment which is pretty difficult here in Heidelberg.

Hope the new job is going well :-)

> On Wednesday 03 September 2003 23:29, Jason Wood wrote:
> > (unless I have misunderstood), Rolf would like to merge the 0_3 branch
> > back in with Head
>
> I have thrown out the enix support in 03-DEVEL and merged the rest to the
> CVS HEAD. Most visible changes from outside are:
> - arts audio output plugin (taken from xmms)
> - AVI file input plugin (taken from transcode and kino)

They are indeed visible - is the arts plugin running by default now? I noticed
a great improvement in video/sound sync.

And the AVI input plugin is a happy addition - I have a number of AVI files
originally captured in Adobe Premiere that I can now use in Kdenlive without
converting first :-)

> Many things changed inside.
>
> Please test the CVS HEAD and let me know what I screwed up. I still don't
> have my computer at the new place, and it's difficult for me to test
> everything on my laptop.

There is a HUGE memory leak somewhere in piave CVS :-( If you try to edit
something in Kdenlive for any length of time, you will find that your
computer starts to thrash the hard drive quite vigorously. According to top,
piave reached 80% memory usage before my laptop became completely
unresponsive and killed the X server.

I am not sure as to what was causing the increases in memory usage, but my
suspicions are when kdenlive passes piave a new scenelist.

On the Kdenlive front, it appears that I am sending too many scenelists to
piave again with the changes to the way the timeline worked, I will fix this.

Also, unless anyone thinks it is a bad idea, I shall turn off the debug
monitor by default for the release (it can be re-enabled in the debug window,
but will have to be done each time the app is run) - the amount of
information it spews out affects the speed of the interface too much at the
moment :-)

What I really need to do is plug it into the configure dialog so that you can
vary the amount of debug information that you want saved, but that will have
to wait.

Cheers,
Jason

--