How do you enable debug output on a port?

Jim Durham durham at jcdurham.com
Fri Apr 23 20:08:46 BST 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 04:15 am, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Friday 23 April 2004 00:49, Jim Durham wrote:
> > There appears to be a problem with the debug code. After compiling the
> > same code with the _DWITH_KDE_DEBUG argument, I can't even get kdm to
> > run.
>
> 1.) It's WANT_KDE_DEBUG (it's a make variable and really does nothing but
> automatically add --enable-debug=full to the CONFIGURE_ARGS of all ports
> which include ${PORTSDIR}/x11/kde3/Makefile.kde in their port Makefile).

Yes... mistyped it in the email to you, but I actually did enter
-DWANT_KDE_DEBUG  and , watching the compile, it's not using the -DNO_DEBUG
or -DNDEBUG args any more and the code is substantially larger, so it was
including more code.

I can build the code without that arg and install it and it works. (Except
knotes..more later). If I merely put in the -DWANT_KDE_DEBUG define and
compile and install it, it won't even run kdm. It just comes up as far as the
grey "X" screen and crashes.

Now, the knotes thing is that I get a screen full of yellow postit notes on
starting either knotes or kontact/notes. If I start knotes from a terminal
window, I get lots of error messages saying it failed trying to create a
local folder. I wrote one of the knotes developers and asked if they had seen
this because there had been some issues with knotes putting up the yellow
postit note widgets when running kontact. He suggested that I try to get him
a debug output. After putting in some debug statements that he suggested, we
realized that the debug output was turned off and that was the beginning of
the question about how to turn it on. You answered that and it seems to work.

> 2.) I'm very sure there is no problem with the debug code, it's running
> fine for lots of people. However, there seem to be quite many problems with
> your installation and it would seem to be prudent to finally start
> investigating along that road.

As I wrote earlier, all the problems except the knotes thing seemed to go away
when I rebuilt the .kde directory. Also, I can run as root or another user
and all is fine, so that leads me to think the installation is OK, but I'm
trying to double check that theory. I installed 5.2.1-RELEASE  on another
machine..and installed X and now I am building the whole kde3 tree on it with
-DWANT_KDE_DEBUG. I'm building it as packages and when I'm done I'll try
installing those packages and see if it makes any difference.

If you say that other people are running the debug code OK, then I have to
believe

> You wrote a while back that you did install 3.2.1 packages from
> fruitsalad.org. Did you install -CURRENT packages and you're running
> FreeBSD 5.x-Release? If you did/do run -CURRENT, was your -CURRENT
> substantially older or newer than the snapshot used to build the packages,
> for example, do you run 5.1-CURRENT? The packages were built with on a
> system running 502105, check your version with sysctl kern.osreldate.

The packages I installed were built on 5.2-RELEASE and are available at:
http://people.fruitsalad.org/tap/3.2.1/5.2-RELEASE/1/

I am running 5.1 on my laptop because 5.2 breaks SCSI support, which I need,
and also causes ACPI problems with my Dell laptop (you have to choose menu
item #2, disable ACPI to boot the laptop).

> If you run 4.x, are you perhaps trying to compile kdebase now with gcc 3.x
> installed from ports?

No..as above, 5.1. The gcc version is 3.2.2 . Is that bad?

Thanks for the help, I'll keep plodding along.
--
-Jim